Friday, March 10, 2017

Devotion for Friday, March 10


He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God (Psalm 40:3)

In Psalm 40, we are encountered by a writer who has definitely felt a sense of rescue, forgiveness, healing, and renewal.  It is a powerful psalm with which, I believe, we can all identify. 

In our most desperate moments, during our most heart-wrenching days, and amidst our most painful experiences, we can feel as if we are languishing, if not drowning, in sorrow, struggle, and shame. We need and cry for deliverance.  And when we feel and experience this desired deliverance, we move, almost literally, from mourning into dancing. 

I love the image of a "new song" as indicative of life-giving renewal of spirit and hope.  I always enjoy it when I find a new favorite song (which happens a lot).  Back in the day, when it would come on the radio, I would turn it up and sing with gusto.  I expect you know what I mean.

So, whenever you experience a strong and powerful sense of forgiveness and grace it is like a hearing your favorite song!  It will bring you joy! And your joy will lead you to praise and thanksgiving!

Saving God, help us to sing and dance to the rhythm of your grace and hope. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment