Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Devotion for Wednesday, March 15


Listen! A sower went out to sow.  And as he sowed, some seed fell on the path, and the birds came and ate it up.  Other seed fell on rocky ground, where it did not have much soil, and it sprang up quickly, since it had no depth of soil. And when the sun rose, it was scorched; and since it had no root, it withered away. Other seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked it, and it yielded no grain. Other seed fell into good soil and brought forth grain, growing up and increasing and yielding thirty and sixty and a hundredfold (Mark 4:3-9)

Jesus tells this parable and then explains it verses 13-20.  You have probably heard the explanations that each of the four soils show how the Word of God can be experienced, dependent on the reception and circumstances of those who hear it.  The path indicates that for some the word never takes any root and is blown away.  The rocky ground indicates those who receive the word immediately and joyously, but because it is not rooted, it does not endure.  The thorny ground indicates those who respond to the Word, but the cares, desires, and struggles of the world (thorns) choke it out of them. The good soil indicates those who hear the Word, accept it, root it in community and scripture, and bear fruit.

I interpret this parable as not exclusively talking about different people, but instead addressing the different kinds of soil that we can be at different times in our lives.  At times I have been a stone path and not responded to the Word in midst.  At others times I been rocky ground, responding immediately but doing little to preserve and root my faith.  Still, at other times, I've allowed the cares of the world and my selfish desires to choke away my faith.  Yet, graciously, at times I've also been good soil, where the Word has comforted me, inspired me, and transformed me.

The best news of this parable, however, is seen in that the sower, God, keeps on sowing seeds in our lives, giving us continuous opportunities to respond as good soil.

Lord, make my heart be good soil, open to the seed of your Word. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment