Friday, March 31, 2017

Devotion for Friday, March 31


John said, "Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he was not following us."  Jesus said, "Do not stop him ... Whoever is not against us is for us. (Mark 9: 38-40)

I have always found this to be a particularly poignant and someone funny story.  Can't you just see John running up and tattling to Jesus about this dude who "was not following" the way that John thought he should?

It is sad that we have not really learned a lot from this story.  We still look at our Christian brothers and sisters and say, "Jesus, Jesus stop them because they are not doing it like we are?"  I know I have been guilty of this in my life.  Others have been guilty of it toward me.

Jesus however puts the emphasis on the healing, the serving, the blessing that we do.  This is what matters.  I may not always agree with you, but I can value your purpose and place in the kingdom with me.  Maybe loving our neighbor begins at home, in the family of faith?

Loving Jesus, help me to see others who love you the way you see them. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment