Thursday, March 16, 2017

Devotion for Thursday, March 16


But [Jesus] was in the stern, asleep on the cushion; and they woke him up and said to him, 
"Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?" (Mark 4:38)


In the midst of anxiety and the storms of life, how often do we wonder if Jesus is asleep on us too? I remember a particularly difficult time in my life, a time of anxiety, uncertainty, and stress that continually led me to a place of wondering if God was anywhere to be found.  It is a very real human reaction in the midst of fear and struggle.

However, Jesus is there, even if we don't believe that we have his full attention.  I love that in this account he is asleep, resting amidst our storms.  When he wakes he stills the storm and eases their anxiety.  Yet he questions this anxiety of theirs by asking, "Why are you afraid? Have you still no faith?" 

I don't hear this as condemnation as much as I hear it as surprise.  Jesus is genuinely surprised that his teaching and leading still has not taken root with the disciples.  Yet, do we not have similar experiences in our families, with our children, in our professions, with co-workers, etc.?  

During my difficult time, I remember Heidi listening to me as I spoke out of fear and frustration one afternoon.  After I was finished she simply looked at me and asked, "David, don't you believe in God?"  When I said that of course I do, she said, "Then trust that God's got this! It's going to be fine!"

It was her "Have you no faith?"  moment to me.  And it worked. It reminded me that the storms and stresses and struggles of our lives can not drown the power of Jesus to bring healing, wholeness, and new life.  

As my friend Tom says, "Don't tell God how big your storm is, tell your storm how big your God is!"

Loving Jesus, help us embrace the storms of life with the confidence of your saving grace. Amen.  

   



No comments:

Post a Comment