Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Devotion for Ash Wednesday - March 1


Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me.  Do not cast me away from your presence, and do not take your holy spirit from me.  Restore to me the joy of your salvation and sustain me with a willing spirit (Psalm 51: 10-12)

As we begin our Lenten season, a season of reorientation, realignment and renewal, I invite you to take these words to heart as Jesus seeks to change our hearts, our words, our actions and our minds. 

For some, change can be seen as a bad word.  No one really likes change.  I don't necessarily embrace it as much as perhaps I should.  However, the world around us and the realities of our lives are always changing. We can't stop that from happening.

So, how can we change with an eye, ear, and heart focused on God?  That is the call of Lent, that is the hope and promise of this season.  I invite you to change over the next forty days.  Read a devotion daily. Share resources with the needy and poor.  Offer forgiveness you've been denying.  Embrace a healthier lifestyle.  Lent affords you an opportunity to do something new, a holy do-over if you will.

Throughout, Lent, Monday through Friday each week, I will be offering daily devotions.  Perhaps these can serve to help you in this effort.  Also, we worship each Wednesday evening during Lent, beginning tonight, at 7:00pm as a time for weekly renewal for you and your family.  You will be in my prayers dear friends during this special, dedicated time of spiritual growth. 

Let us pray ... God of all, guide me to change in ways pleasing to you, in solidarity with others, and for the purpose of the Kingdom.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment