Thursday, March 2, 2017

Devotion for Thursday, March 2


Our steps are made firm by the Lord, when he delights in our way, though we stumble, we shall not fall headlong, for the Lord holds us by the hand, (Psalm 37: 23-24)

When I was a child I delighted in holding the hand of my father or mother.  At some point, this changed and it seemed less important to me.  I now see it in my children.

Oh, how I love it when my kids hold my hand.  It is such a special thing to feel connected to my children.  I am missing the hand-holding portion of our lives together.  I imagine God feels the same.

When we hold the hand of our Lord, like when we do so as children with our parents, there is an inherent trust and love there.  Of course, in our society it would seem a bit strange for me to walk around holding the hand of my almost teenager.  I get that.  Still, as a metaphor for our life with God, I hope that I have never let go of God's hand in my life.  I am still that child who needs the security and safety of the Father's hand.  For like my earthly father, my heavenly Father can keep me from running out into unknown dangers and remain by my side in the midst of fearful moments.  This comfort and peace, which God desires for us, is something I hope I never forget to cling to in my life of discipleship.

Loving Father, help me to remain side by side with you in my walk of faith. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment