Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Devotion for Wednesday, November 2 (Psalm 23 Week)


The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. 
He makes me lie down in green pastures. (Psalm 23: 1-2)

This most famous of psalms is one that I have grown to love even more over the years. I have preached on this reading many times and probably used it for a devotion many more.

The psalm begins with a wonderful image of a sheep lying in a green full pasture. Knowing that sheep eat grass, then the image is one of being fully satiated and satisfied.  Only a sheep who is full would be lying in a green pasture.

This image is one that seeks to let us know that God can so satisfy our life that we will be like the fully fed sheep amidst a lush, green pasture.  This is the promise of God, this is the power of God, and this is the forever hope of a relationship with God.  

May you be satisfied fully this day by the overwhelming grace and mercy of God!  

No comments:

Post a Comment