Thursday, November 3, 2016

Devotion for Thursday, November 3 (Psalm 23 Week)


Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; 
for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me (Psalm 23:4)

The reason that this Psalm 23 is so famous is its use at funerals.  The reason we use it in so many funerals is this particular verse.  It also speaks a word of hope for us amidst anything that threatens us in our lives.  

I have found that the image of "your rod and your staff" to be a helpful one.  I like to see this as a reminder of the "law and gospel" message of scripture.  The "law" (rod) is comfort because it speaks truth to us in the midst of our sin and convicts us.  The "gospel" (staff) is comfort because it speaks a word of forgiveness and grace.  

I also like that both the "rod" and "staff" are used to by the Shepherd (God) to keep the sheep (us) away from trouble -- either to fight off enemies (rod) or pull us back from a dangerous cliff (staff). 

May this day be a day to thank God for watching over us, protecting us, and loving us. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment