Thursday, November 10, 2016

Devotion for Friday, November 11 (Veterans Day)


As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete. “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends (John 15)

*As we do each year, we will be honoring our Veterans 
with a special moment of recognition on Sunday at Bethel

Those who make the decision to serve, our nation do so with the knowledge that they may one day be in very dangerous situations.  I have always had deep respect for those that begin this journey knowing that is fraught with potential danger, if not, death.

As a nation we take a day each year to intentionally acknowledge and honor those who have taken on the mantle of protecting our nation and our freedoms. I believe that at the heart of this willingness to serve is love.

Love of country. Love of our fellow citizens. Love for the freedoms we enjoy. Love for our democratic ideals and values.

The words of Jesus above speak a similar reality. When Jesus says theses words in the shadow of the coming Cross, in anticipation of coming pain and struggle, he does so out of love. Courage is defined not as being unafraid but by acting amidst fear. 

I am sure that Jesus felt fear, if we believe that He was like us in every way.  Likewise, I am sure that every woman or man who has served has felt fear as well.  

Still the beauty of love is that is conquers fear. Jesus faced His cross, amidst fear, out of unwavering love for all of humanity. And he lost his life. 

Our servicewoman and servicemen face fear and still serve to protect and defend us. And some give their lives in service to this nation and its people.

Just as Jesus' death served to defeat the power of death and sin and bring new life and freedom to humanity, so often the death of those defending us has served to defeat the power of enemies and sustain our way of life and freedom.

Give thanks today for those who have taken on this responsibility among our citizenship, and especially those who have made the ultimate sacrifice. They deserve our respect and are honored in our midst. And in the end give thanks for their love. 

For as Jesus says, "No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends."     

No comments:

Post a Comment