Monday, November 14, 2016

Devotion for Monday, November 14 (A Week with Philippians)


I thank my God every time I remember you, constantly praying with joy in every one of my prayers for all of you, because of your sharing in the gospel from the first day until now. I am confident of this, that the one who began a good work among you will bring it to completion (Philippians 1:3-6)

I share this word from Paul today for my congregation. I do thank God for you. I am particularly proud of the Gospel work that you have been about in so many ways.

Yesterday, in the aftermath of a contentious and surprising election, you came together as brothers and sisters and found unity.  This heartens me to no end. I am proud of you. I am humbled by you. I value our work and ministry together for this reason.

After a spirited worship service, you came together to discuss seriously and faithfully our Ministry Spending Plan for 2017. It is a reach, yes, but one that you all have chosen to embrace out of faith. I am proud that you discussed this and with eyes wide open and honest conversation have chosen to move forward in ministry.  So proud!

So I leave this here. I serve with an amazing collection of sinners at Bethel!  We are flawed and imperfect and nuanced. We have squabbles and frustrations and uncertainties. We don't always embrace the best of ourselves. 

Still, we are faithful and humble and authentic. This has allowed us to thrive amidst turbulent waters and bring light in the midst of darkness.  We are not perfect, yet we are perfectly forgiven.

And I thank God for you everyday, and especially today! 


No comments:

Post a Comment