Monday, November 7, 2016

Devotion for Monday, November 7 (Election Week)

“First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, 
and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, 
that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.” (1 Timothy 2:1-2)

We may not believe that our elected leaders are doing the best that they can for our benefit and for the benefit of those we care about.  But we are commanded to pray for those who are in “high positions” and that most certainly means praying for governmental leaders and politicians. As inept as they may seem or as corrupt as we might believe they are, this does not relieve us of our responsibility to pray for those who are over us.
I remember praying for Bill Clinton during his presidency, even during the height of his scandal.  I had people in the congregation complain to me about this.  After George W. Bush was elected in 2000 and throughout his presidency I prayed for him almost weekly during worship.  I had people, from time to time, complain about this as well.  
What I found interesting is that the people who didn't like me praying for Clinton had no problem with me praying for Bush.  And the folks who lauded me for praying for Clinton did not like that I prayed for Bush.  My conclusion is that I must have been doing something right!
Regardless of your political leanings, we are called to pray for our "enemies" and we are called to pray for our "leaders."  As people of faith, I believe we are called to a different standard.  So, I am praying for Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, Gary Johnson, and Jill Stein.  I encourage you to do the same.
Guide our leaders, O Lord, and bless them with just, loving, and wise decisions. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment