Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Devotion for Wednesday, April 6



But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people, in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light (I Peter 2:9)

Chosen, royal, holy!  This is how God sees you!  Is this how you see yourself?

I must admit that I don't always remember this promise and plea from God.  In fact, I often see myself as less than enough, full of warts and sin, and unable to be all that I would I could be for God, for my family, for my congregation, and for myself.  

Yet, Jesus chooses me!  And Jesus chooses you!  And there is something powerful in a love that chooses another!  

As a young child, I once asked my mother who she loved more, my father or my sister and me?  She answered faithfully and diplomatically by saying, "I love you both the same, but differently."  So then, I went to my father, and asked him the same question.  His response?  "I love your mother more."  

Well, I was a bit stunned by that.  And it must have shown on my face.  So my father elaborated. 

"David, I love you and Suzy more than life itself.  I'd die for both of you.  But you have to understand, that I chose your mother and she chose me.  Above everyone else, we chose each other.  And she is the greatest love in my life, except for only God."  

I get that now that I am a husband and a father.  I get the power of being chosen.  And in your relationship with God, now beyond any shadow of a doubt that you too have been chosen!  Live now as chosen people, full of hope, life, and promise that comes with knowing that you matter, that you are preciously valued, and that your life is no accident, but a choice that God made because he loves you so much!

Amazing Lord, thank you for choosing me! Thank you for loving me! Help me to chose you and love you each and every day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment