Friday, April 15, 2016

Devotion for Friday, April 15



“If with Christ you died to the elemental spirits of the universe, why do you live as if you still belong to the world?” (Colossians 2: 20)

This is the big question isn’t it?

How often do I continue to cling to the false promises and bankrupt powers of this world, instead of submitting to the life-giving, renewing, and reconciling grace of Jesus?

As a pastor, I am not immune to this struggle.  I simply signed up to proclaim in publicly, and invite you to recognize it in your own life.  Hopefully, I do this faithfully and creatively in my ministry.  Still, I know that I won’t do it as well as I could or should or have or will.  In these moments, I attempt to find solace in knowing that any moments of grace that I somehow bestow on others is the work of Jesus in both of our lives. 

The reality for all of us is that we will continually find ourselves living, not as redeemed believers, but as those who have forgotten who and whose we truly are.  And when we do, we need each other to serve as reminders of who our truest selves are and where truest allegiance belongs.  And how gracious that God gives each of us the ability to do exactly this.

I have often been ministered to by you.  I have often been brought back to the faith because of your faith.  I have often been encouraged to risk and exhibit courage because of the daring faith you have shown.  For this, I am grateful and blessed. 

My prayer is that you will come to see that your life, despite its challenges and back-sliding moments, can, does, and will impact the lives of others.  This is the great secret of God’s grace and power.  He changes hearts and lives in and through the very people who don’t believe they can or will do so.  Yet, it happens.  All the time, in all the world.  Grace happens. 


Surprising God, use us as instruments of your grace, love, and peace. Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment