Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Devotion for Wednesday, April 27 (Sermon on the Mount Week Two)


Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life ... But strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you (Matthew 6: 25-33)

Anxiety is at the heart of so much of our struggles and frustrations in life.  We live an pretty anxious time right now with terrorism, financial insecurity, disease, political rivalries, the changing culture around us.  Anxious times leads to worry and fear.

I know that when anxiety overtakes my rational and faithful mind I  can blow things out of proportion and act accordingly.  This leads to over worry and unwarranted fear.  When this happens I feel lost and forsaken and frustrated with God.

During a particularly anxiety ridden time in my life, I received this image above.  It was timely and life-giving.  It helped me to remember that God's got this!  As I turn my worries and anxieties over to the promise and power of the Lord, I find that I encounter a peace that indeed surpasses all understanding.

One of my hopes for our congregation at Bethel is that we can be a non-anxious and faithful presence in our community; that we can be a place that so trusts God that we will offer peace and grace to those who worry in our worrisome times.

At the heart of becoming less anxious is trust that God will work new life into all circumstances. Jesus reminds us that God passionately cares for this world, that evidence of this is all around us.  As we seek to live faithfully into discipleship, we will grow to trust this more fully and completely.

And remember always that God's got this!

Loving God, you have our back. Help us to know and live with hope in this promise. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment