Thursday, April 28, 2016

Devotion for Thursday, April 28 (Sermon on the Mount Week Two)



Do not store up for yourselves treasure on earth, but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven ... for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6: 19-21)

What is the deepest desire of your heart? 

In seeking to follow Jesus we are continually faced with this question.  Is following Jesus the deepest desire of your heart? Does it norm and shape all other desires in your life?

Those who I have come to model my life as a disciple of Jesus after are women and men who I witness putting their faith at the forefront of their daily lives and all their actions and decisions.  Of course, none of us are perfect and no one will do this flawlessly.  

However, by intentionally and prayerfully putting Jesus first, I notice that these women and men are able to effectively navigate life differently, with less anxiety, and more joy.  Their treasure, it seems to me, is found in simply knowing and being known by Christ.  This guides their understanding of others, the world, and themselves.  

I begin each morning asking myself to seek first the rule of Jesus in my life and heart.  By breakfast, I may have forgotten to do so at times.  Still, the hope that I have is that my life will gradually become more like that of Jesus than not.  I know that it will not be flawless nor without poor choices and actions.  

Still, through grace, I dare to believe that by watching the way others live their life, I can model my own after them and Jesus.  And as I do, I find that my heart ever changing toward being more fully a heart for Jesus and his mission.  

Change my heart, O God, make it ever true.  Change my heart, O God, may I be like you! Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment