Friday, May 27, 2016

Devotion for Friday, May 27



Be still, and know that I am God (Psalm 46:10)

Friday is my day off. I know, many people say that I only work one day a week (if only!).  I had Monday as my day off for many years, and it was great.  Still, I came to find that I was seemingly "running behind" during the regular work week for this reason.  As my children grew and became involved in many activities, moving my day off to Friday allowed for me to have more of a "weekend", as I am often involved with my kids on Saturdays.  I have found this "time apart" to be very healthy for me personally and for our family.

There is an inherent wisdom in "sabbath" time.  Whether it is a daily ritual of prayer and devotion, or taking time to simply "be" during the hustle and bustle of life.  God models the importance of "being still" amidst the honest work of most days and weeks.  We cannot fully live with energy if we do not take time to recharge through rest.  

Holiday weekends like Memorial Day weekend offer us a dedicated time for rest, and hopefully you can find the time to rest and play and laugh and recharge during this time.  Think of it this way ... by doing so you are doing something holy and sacred and blessed.  Instead of seeing the weekend as merely a time to "get more done" than a normal weekend, see it as an opportunity to practice sabbath. And we need to learn to practice sabbath, because many of us are not really good at it.  

Still, be still. Try it. Allow yourself the freedom to be still and just be. Allow for that moment to be rich and full with knowing that God values you, not because of what you do, but precisely because of who you are! 

God of Sabbath, help us to find moments and days of rewarding and renewing rest. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment