Friday, May 13, 2016

Devotion for Friday, May 13



Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. (Matthew 11: 28-30)

Have you ever wondered why a pastor wears a stole (the colored fabric that lays over the shoulders of the robe)?  It is in remembrance of this passage from scripture.  The stole is the pastor's yoke.

Scripture is so interesting.  Jesus says, "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me."  Taking up the call of Jesus, which involves the cross and the sacrifice born from faithfulness, is not one that I would immediately categorize as a light burden or easy yoke in my experience.

Yet, in a way I see them as compatible.  And not simply compatible, but congruent if you will.

There is no way that I could follow Jesus into the sacrifice and cross bearing moments of discipleship, if I did not also have the assurance that in doing so, Jesus will lighten and ease these burdens of faithfulness.

Inviting us to come to him, amidst the burdens and weariness of discipleship, is the promise that gives us strength to face them as they occur.  As I put on my stole each week, I am aware that my calling to serve as a pastor of the church comes with uncertainties, fears, and wearisome burdens. The yoke of Jesus allows me to live into this call with more strength and greater hope than I could muster on my own.  It is the work of Christ in my life that makes the struggles of the pastorate lighter and easier if you will.

The same is true for you.  The yoke of your baptism assures you of this.  So, come to Jesus.  He will give you what you need as you follow His call in your own life.

Loving Christ, may we find comfort and peace in the gift of your love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment