Monday, October 2, 2017

95 Days with the 95 Theses (Days 68-74)



The 500th Anniversary of the Reformation is being celebrated this year, 2017.  Why? Because historians acknowledge and date the beginning of the Reformation to October 31, 1517, the day Martin Luther posted his 95 Theses on the door of the Castle Church in Wittenberg, Germany.

68.  Yet they are in truth the least of all when compared to the grace of God and the goodness of the cross.

69.  Bishops and parish priests are bound to admit agents of the Apostolic indulgences with all reverence.

70.  But all of them are much more bound to strain eyes and ears intently, so that these [agents] do not preach their own daydreams in place of the pope's commission.

71.  Let the one who speaks against the truth of the Apostolic indulgences be anathema and accursed.

72.  ... but let the one who guards against the arbitrary and unbridled words used by declaimers of indulgences be blessed.

73.  Just as the pope justly thunders against those who, in whatever way they can, contrive to harm the sale of indulgences,

74.  ... much more so does he intend to thunder against those who, under the pretext of indulgences, contrive to harm holy love and the truth.



A Prayer of Martin Luther

Behold, Lord, an empty vessel that needs to be filled. My Lord, fill it.
   I am weak in the faith; strengthen me.
   I am cold in love; warm me and make me fervent, that my love may go out to my neighbor.

I do not have a strong and firm faith; at times I doubt and am unable to trust you altogether.
   O Lord, help me. Strengthen my faith and trust in you.
   In you I have sealed the treasure of all I have.
   I am poor; you are rich and came to be merciful to the poor.
   I am a sinner; you are upright.

With me, there is an abundance of sin; in you is the fullness of righteousness. Therefore I will remain with you, of whom I can receive, but to whom I may not give.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment