Monday, October 9, 2017

95 Days with the 95 Theses (Days 75-81)



The 500th Anniversary of the Reformation is being celebrated this year, 2017.  Why? Because historians acknowledge and date the beginning of the Reformation to October 31, 1517, the day Martin Luther posted his 95 Theses on the door of the Castle Church in Wittenberg, Germany.

75.  To imagine that papal indulgences are so great that they could absolve a person even for doing the impossible by violating the mother of God is insanity. (Luther accused Johann Tetzel, the Dominican Indulgence preacher, of making this claim. Tetzel denied it.) 

76.  On the contrary, we have said that papal indulgences cannot take way the very least of venial sins, as far as guilt is concerned.

77.  That it is said that even St. Peter, if he were now pope, could not grant greater graces is blasphemy against St. Peter and the pope. (Another charge Luther accused Tetzel of saying. Again, Tetzel denied it.)

78.  On the contrary, we say that even the present pope, or any pope whatsoever, possesses greater graces -- namely the gospel, "deeds of power, gifts of healing ..." -- as in 1 Corinthians 12: 28.

79.  To say that the cross, emblazoned with the papal coat-of-arms and erected [in the church where indulgences are preached], is of equal worth to the cross of Christ is blasphemy. (A final charge leveled at Tetzel by Luther. And yes, Tetzel denied this too.)

80.  The bishops, parish priests, and theologians who allow such sermons free course among the people will have to answer for this.

81.  This unbridled preaching makes it difficult even for learned men to defend the reverence due the pope from slander or from the truly sharp questions of the laity: 


A Prayer of Martin Luther

Behold, Lord, an empty vessel that needs to be filled. My Lord, fill it.
   I am weak in the faith; strengthen me.
   I am cold in love; warm me and make me fervent, that my love may go out to my neighbor.

I do not have a strong and firm faith; at times I doubt and am unable to trust you altogether.
   O Lord, help me. Strengthen my faith and trust in you.
   In you I have sealed the treasure of all I have.
   I am poor; you are rich and came to be merciful to the poor.
   I am a sinner; you are upright.

With me, there is an abundance of sin; in you is the fullness of righteousness. Therefore I will remain with you, of whom I can receive, but to whom I may not give.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment