Thursday, October 26, 2017

95 Days with the 95 Theses (Days 90-95)

The 500th Anniversary of the Reformation is being celebrated this year, 2017.  Why? Because historians acknowledge and date the beginning of the Reformation to October 31, 1517, the day Martin Luther posted his 95 Theses on the door of the Castle Church in Wittenberg, Germany.

90.  To suppress these very pointed arguments of the laity by force alone and not to resolve them by providing reasons is to expose the church and the pope to ridicule by their enemies and to make Christians miserable.

91.  Therefore, if indulgences were preached according to the spirit and intention of the pope, all of these [objections] would be easily resolved -- indeed, they would not exist.

92.  And thus, away with all those prophets who say to Christ's people, "Peace, peace," and there is no peace!

93.  May it go well for all of those prophets who say to Christ's people, "Cross, cross" and there is no cross!"

94.  Christians must be encouraged diligently to follow Christ, their head, through penalties, death, and hell,

95.  ... and in this way they may be confident of "entering heaven through many tribulations" rather than through the [false] security of peace.



A Prayer of Martin Luther

Behold, Lord, an empty vessel that needs to be filled. My Lord, fill it.
   I am weak in the faith; strengthen me.
   I am cold in love; warm me and make me fervent, that my love may go out to my neighbor.

I do not have a strong and firm faith; at times I doubt and am unable to trust you altogether.
   O Lord, help me. Strengthen my faith and trust in you.
   In you I have sealed the treasure of all I have.
   I am poor; you are rich and came to be merciful to the poor.
   I am a sinner; you are upright.

With me, there is an abundance of sin; in you is the fullness of righteousness. Therefore I will remain with you, of whom I can receive, but to whom I may not give.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment