Monday, September 25, 2017

95 Days with the 95 Theses (Days 61-67)



The 500th Anniversary of the Reformation is being celebrated this year, 2017.  Why? Because historians acknowledge and date the beginning of the Reformation to October 31, 1517, the day Martin Luther posted his 95 Theses on the door of the Castle Church in Wittenberg, Germany.


61. For it is clear that the pope's power only suffices for the remission of [ecclesiastical] penalties and for [legal] actions.

62. The true treasure of the church is the most holy gospel of the glory and grace of 
God.

63. But this treasure is deservedly the most hated, because it makes "the first last."

64. In contrast, the treasure of indulgences is deservedly the most acceptable, because it makes "the last first."

65. Therefore, the treasures of the gospel are nets with which they formerly fished for men of wealth.

66. The treasures of of indulgences are nets with which they now fish for men of wealth.

67. Indulgences, which the declaimers should about as the greatest "graces", are indeed understood as such -- insofar as they promise profits.

A Prayer of Martin Luther

Behold, Lord, an empty vessel that needs to be filled. My Lord, fill it.
   I am weak in the faith; strengthen me.
   I am cold in love; warm me and make me fervent, that my love may go out to my neighbor.

I do not have a strong and firm faith; at times I doubt and am unable to trust you altogether.
   O Lord, help me. Strengthen my faith and trust in you.
   In you I have sealed the treasure of all I have.
   I am poor; you are rich and came to be merciful to the poor.
   I am a sinner; you are upright.

With me, there is an abundance of sin; in you is the fullness of righteousness. Therefore I will remain with you, of whom I can receive, but to whom I may not give.  Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment