Wednesday, September 20, 2017

95 Days with the 95 Theses (Days 54-60)



The 500th Anniversary of the Reformation is being celebrated this year, 2017.  Why? Because historians acknowledge and date the beginning of the Reformation to October 31, 1517, the day Martin Luther posted his 95 Theses on the door of the Castle Church in Wittenberg, Germany.

(Since I will be in Europe for a Reformation 500 trip with others from Bethel, I will be sharing Theses 24- 40 here in one space. For the previous theses, see this same blog. As previously mentioned, I am using Martin Luther's 95 Theses with Introduction, Commentary, and Study Guide by Timothy Wengert.)

54.  An injustice is done to the Word of God when, in the very same sermon, equal or more time is spent on indulgences than on the Word.

55.  It is necessarily the pope's intent that if indulgences, which are a completely insignificant thing, are celebrated with one bell, one procession, and one ceremony, then the gospel, which is the greatest thing of all, should be preached with a hundred bells, a hundred processions, and a hundred ceremonies.

56.  The treasures of the church, from which the pope distributes indulgences, are not sufficiently discussed or known among Christ's people.

57.  That [these treasures] are not transient worldly riches is certainly clear, because many of the indulgence declaimers do not so much freely distribute such riches as only collect them.

58.  Nor are they the merits of Christ and the saints, because, even without the pope, these merits always work grace for the inner person and cross, death, and hell for the outer person.

59.  St. Laurence said that the poor of the church were the treasures of the church, but he spoke according to the usage of the word "treasure" in his own time.

60.  Not without cause, we say that the keys of the church (given by the merits of Christ) are the treasure.

A Prayer of Martin Luther

Behold, Lord, an empty vessel that needs to be filled. My Lord, fill it.
   I am weak in the faith; strengthen me.
   I am cold in love; warm me and make me fervent, that my love may go out to my neighbor.

I do not have a strong and firm faith; at times I doubt and am unable to trust you altogether.
   O Lord, help me. Strengthen my faith and trust in you.
   In you I have sealed the treasure of all I have.
   I am poor; you are rich and came to be merciful to the poor.
   I am a sinner; you are upright.

With me, there is an abundance of sin; in you is the fullness of righteousness. Therefore I will remain with you, of whom I can receive, but to whom I may not give.  Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment