Thursday, January 19, 2017

Devotion for Thursday, January 19


I grew up with a mother who was a Republican and a father who was a Democrat.  They would joke that they would cancel each other out at the ballot box therefore they would kiss before they voted and kiss afterwards.  

When we turned 18, my sister and I aligned with the opposite gender parent officially when we went to register.  Why?  Because my mom took me to register and my dad took my sister to register.  It was their way of keeping our family even up.  

I am not sure if they did this intentionally.  But by doing so, my sister and I grew up with a healthy respect for both parties.  Democrats couldn't be THAT bad, Dad was one.  Republicans couldn't be THAT bad, because Mom was one.  While my sister and I have formulated our own political opinions over the years, I do find it interesting that both my sister and I have voted both Republican and Democrat over the years, sometimes even in the same year.   

At the heart of our family life back then of course was our faith life.  Regular worship attendance, serving others, praying each day, finding solace and support in the community of faith.  These realities continue to shape my life and, truly, shape my political leanings as much as anything. These commitments to our faith in Christ is what allowed my parents, sister, and I to live harmoniously within the same family, even with different political opinions, etc.   

My prayer is that the "family of faith" can do the same in the coming years.  

Blessings,
Pastor Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment