Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Devotion for Wednesday, August 31 (The Beatitudes)


Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, 
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 5:10)

Take up your cross and follow me.  Jesus says that discipleship will come with a cost.

I often ask myself the question, "What am I willing to lose for my faith?"  The truth is I often want the empty tomb without the cross.  Yet, the reality of the Jesus Way is that resurrection hope comes with crucifixion suffering.  It happens in our faith lives.  It happens in our churches. It happens in our families.

Still, Jesus tells us that when our cross-bearing moments come, we are not alone.  We are as much apart of the kingdom of heaven in the midst of our struggles as we are when things are awesome. There is comfort here.

When we know that all things fall under the auspices of God's love and grace, then we can face all things within the strength of God's love and grace.  And so cross-bearing and resurrection hope are both experiences of kingdom living.  

What are you willing to lose for your faith? Friends, status, some financial security? I have lost all three in my life.  It is not easy. Yet, it is the way of Jesus.

And the reality is that despite what I have lost, I have gained so much more.  And that is the way of Jesus too!

Lord, you never promise an easy life, but you have promised help to live it. Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment