Monday, August 15, 2016

Devotion for Monday, August 15


As students begin school this week, I am going to be sharing devotions that follow a specific theme: new beginnings.  I hope you enjoy.

In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth, the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters. Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.

As my children begin 8th grade, 3rd grade, and kindergarten this week, I am reminded that each new school year is a journey unto itself.  In 2nd grade, I learned that it was ok to make mistakes and not heap so much pressure on myself.  In 3rd-4th grade, I took that lesson probably too much to heart as I became more interested in getting in trouble than learning.  In 5th grade, from a wonderful teacher, I received grace and patience and was redirected toward a balance of fun and learning that stayed with me for the rest of my school days.  Each year, and each season of life, was something new.

As we begin this week long study of "new beginnings" I wanted to start at the beginning.  God takes a formless void, one with potential and real darkness, and brings light and life.  The same is true for each new year, new job, new relationship, etc.  They all come with anticipation and apprehension.  

God promises to be there.  God invokes a word into our new beginnings, a word that promises presence and involvement.  A word that is steadfast and reliable.  God says, "Let there be light" and it is not an empty word. And there was light!  God, you see, can be trusted as we embark on new beginnings.

I am not sure what your new beginning is or will be.  But God's word abides and assures you that you are not alone, and that whatever darkness you may fear, or whatever uncertainty may concern you, know that God's word speaks promise and fidelity so that you can begin each new beginning with hope.

God of new beginnings, bless and keep us as we travel unfamiliar roads. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment