Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Devotion for Wednesday, June 1



But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them ever sing for joy (Psalm 5:11)

I love music.  I love all kinds of music, from country to jazz, from 80's rock to bluegrass, from Christian/Gospel to southern rock.  In fact, my friend Glenn and I have a saying, "There are only two kinds of music -- good and bad!"

I have found that I can rejoice in the goodness of the Lord through all kinds of music. From the classic hymns of my youth to modern rap, I can find something, many times, that speaks to the gracious love of Jesus.  Now, it may not be EVIDENT at the moment mind you, but as I listen to music that makes me smile and sing along with my windows down I can, at the very least, find God's presence, if not in the actual words, at least in the experience it gives me.  
The key for me is acknowledging that my refuge is in God alone.  As Rob Bell says so eloquently, "everything is spiritual."  As I grow older and I grow more faithful, the truer these words have become for my life.  

The next time you are singing a favorite song, think of how this song makes you feel. If it pumps you up, then give thanks to God for the blessing of inspiration.  If it makes you long for an experience of your past, give thanks to God for the gift of life.  If it makes you remember a person or persons that are special to you, give thanks to God for the blessing of friendships and relationships that have shaped your life.  If it is a favorite "oldie but goodie" from your younger days in Church, give thanks for those musicians and people who have shaped your faith.  

As we learn to take "refuge" in God, we find more and more that God is close by and near us in all ways.  And as we are open to this possibility, we will find more and more opportunities where God can impact us and speak a Word into our lives.

God of song, as we are moved by the music of our lives, may our lives be moved toward you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment