Thursday, June 9, 2016

Devotion for Thursday, June 9 (Week of Ephesians)



Be angry but do not sin; do not let the sun god down on your anger (Ephesians 4:26)

I have often said that emotions just are.  Being angry is not sinful.  Acting out of anger can often lead to sin.  I've tried to teach this to my children.  I've also tried to teach this to myself.

Those who know me well know that I am a competitive person.  I remember this coming into conflict with my role as pastor on the softball field in my younger days.  

I do remember one instance, after we had lost the championship game at Gloria Dei, I was so frustrated that I walked past all the fans from our church straight to my car so as to calm down before I thanked them all for supporting us.  Fortunately, they knew me well enough to laugh and instead give me some loving jabs.  One gentleman said, "You know PD, it is a weird sort of pride we have when the players from the other teams ask incredulously, 'That guy is your pastor?"  

But inside, I knew that I had to somehow move beyond my hot-headedness.  Ever since, except for one spectacular moment a few years back with Bethel, I have been a pillar of calm and perspective (that is a story for another time).  

So, I get that anger and frustration can lead us to act and be not completely what we would want to be.  I have lived it. 

What I have learned is that the best thing we can do when our blood begins to boil is walk away. Take a deep breath. Remember that we can move into a better place in only a few moments.  Does this always work? Perhaps not.  But it does more often that not lead us to act less irrationally than perhaps we would otherwise.  

What else have I learned?  Forgive yourself.  You will let anger get the best of you from time to time. Repentance in those moments is healing and helpful.  Own our sin. Own our actions. Repent. 

In doing so, we will experience forgiveness that allows us to dare to live differently the next time. It might even allow us to forgive others who have wronged us, perhaps even the ump who makes the bad call as well.   

Forgiving God, when our anger takes hold, guide us into love and peace. Amen.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment