Monday, August 1, 2016

Devotion for Monday, August 1 (C.S. Lewis Quotes Week)



Born on November 29, 1898, in Belfast, Ireland, Clive Staples (C.S.) Lewis went on to teach at Oxford University and became a renowned apologist writer, using logic and philosophy to support the tenets of his Christian faith. He is also known throughout the world as the author of The Chronicles of Narnia fantasy series, which have been adapted into various films for the big and small screens.  Find out more here.

This week, I will be using quotes from C.S. Lewis as our inspiration for connecting with God.


"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: 
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."


I have come to understand that Christian "belief" is less an academic exercise and instead a commitment to a lifestyle and defining narrative for life.  Lewis expertly posits this understanding with these words.

The Christian message of "new life out of death" defines and shapes my life and actions and thoughts.  As Lewis says here, I too have come to trust this completely and give my life to this message.

This narrative invites us to find places and spaces of reconciliation, redemption, forgiveness, and hope.  For here, we are experiencing "thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."  

Loving God, help us to live into the great promise of resurrection and trust its saving work. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment