Monday, July 4, 2016

Devotion for Monday, July 4 (Isaiah 52 Week)



HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!

Awake, awake, put on your strength, O Zion! (Isaiah 52:1)

Do you pray when you wake up in the morning?

I have recently begun a practice of praying when I wake up each morning.  I simply pray, "Thank you God for another day, may I bless you and others today."  You can begin today by giving thanks for our nation, our freedom, and those who protect it! We are certainly blessed!

I attempt to do this first and foremost as a ritual.  Now, I can tell you that on some days I certainly do fail in my attempt to be a blessing to God and others.  Still, opening my day by reciting this mantra has been life-giving for me.

Secondly, I do this to remind myself of who and whose I am.  All that I have, all that I am is a gift from God.  Each day is a blessing and each moment an opportunity to give thanks and serve God.  I hope that by making my first moments of each day centered in this promise, that I can better live into the promise and call of my baptism.

Heidi is way more disciplined and involved than I am.  She has been, for awhile now, participating in centering prayer each day and recently combined that with Stretch and Pray as a daily exercise.  You may find that running or walking and praying go well together.  The possibilities are really unique to you and your rhythm of life.  

Is there a ritual that you use to help you center yourself  in the Lord each day?  Please share with me and others so that we can see and hear what our brothers and sisters are doing.

God of Life, may we find our living powered by our trust and hope in you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment