Friday, March 4, 2016

Devotion for Friday, March 4


Readings for the day
   Psalm 88, 91, 92, 95
   Genesis 47: 1-26
   I Corinthians 9: 16-27
   Mark 6: 47-56

To the weak, I became weak, so that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, so that I might by any means save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, so that I may share in its blessings (I Corinthians 9: 22-23)

I have a saying.  Sometimes holy inconsistency is more faithful than being consistently holy. Now, let me explain.  

I am NOT saying to not be "holy".  What I am saying is that sometimes "holy things" are a stumbling block for folks to hear the message of Jesus.  Let me share a story.

I had a couple of friends who got to know me outside of church.  They did not attend worship, were not particularly interested in attending worship or joining a congregation.  Their lives were generous, loving, and quite fun.  They traveled, supported meaningful causes, and were absolutely lovely people.  Church? Well, thanks, but no thanks.

I played softball and baseball with the husband.  We became great friends, bonding over the love of sports, rock music, and a good beer.  When I was pursuing my doctorate I invited them to be on the team that critiqued my sermons for my program.  They agreed.  After participating in this over the course of a couple of years, I told them, as it was coming to end, that I wanted them to know that I wasn't going to "evangelize" them, and that I appreciated their participation.  My friend then said one of the most poignant things I've ever had said to me, "Well, Dave, why not? I believe we are ready for you to do that."

The rest is history.  They are active and engaged in the life of a congregation now.  They continue to be the awesome people they have always been, but now with a love and genuine affinity for Jesus as part of their lives.  And they taught me something powerful about what I believe St. Paul was saying in I Corinthians.  

We are called to meet people where they are, love them and be genuine with them.  And let Jesus do his thing!  This means that we may not be consistently holy as some would define this.  But that is OK.  Because the kingdom of God and the church is greater, more beautiful, and extremely blessed because my friends are an active part of it!  And for this, I give thanks to God!

Loving God, help us to love others where they are and may your power reach them through us. Amen.     




No comments:

Post a Comment