Friday, December 15, 2017

Devotion for Friday, December 15


During this Advent season, I invite you to ponder the words of these wonderful Advent Hymns!
Peace and Blessings,
Pastor Dave  

O Lord, How Shall I Meet You

O Lord, how shall I meet you, 
How welcome you aright? 
Your people long to greet you, 
My hope, my heart's delight! 
Oh, kindle, Lord most holy,
Your lamp within my breast
To do in spirit lowly 
All that may please you best.



I lay in fetters, groaning; 
You came to set me free. 
I stood, my shame bemoaning; 
You came to honor me. 
A glorious crown you give me, 
A treasure safe on high 
That will not fail or leave me 
As earthly riches fly.


Love caused your incarnation; 
Love brought you down to me. 
Your thirst for my salvation 
Procured my liberty. 
Oh, love beyond all telling,
That led you to embrace 
In love, all love excelling, 
Our lost and fallen race.


Rejoice, then, you sad-hearted, 
Who sit in deepest gloom, 
Who mourn your joys departed 
And tremble at your doom. 
Despair not; he is near you, 
There, standing at the door,
Who best can help and cheer you 
And bids you weep no more.

Text: Paul Gerhardt (1607-1667)
Composer: Johann Cruger (1598-1662)

No comments:

Post a Comment