Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Devotion for Wednesday, February 1


I do not nullify the grace of God; for if justification comes through the law,
the Christ died for nothing (Galatians 2)

I have found that I appreciate these words from St. Paul more and more as I grow older.  So much of my life, I have beaten myself up when I have made mistakes.  I feel badly when I fail or don't succeed. I have struggled with self-esteem when I have acted in such a way that was inconsistent with my values and faith.  

I would imagine that all of us have moments in our lives when we have ceased to be our best selves, when we have behaved poorly or said something we came to regret.  I imagine that all of us can find something we are not proud of in our lives or something that makes us feel ashamed.  

How beautiful then are these words?  "I do not nullify the grace of God."  So simple, yet so profound. Yes, I fail.  Yes, I fall short of the glory of God. Yes, I make dumb decisions and say hurtful things. 

Yet, my actions -- neither my good works nor my mistakes and failures -- can affect the love and grace that God has for me.  This baptismal promise frees me to grow and change and live more faithfully.  

And this same promise is yours!  You cannot and will not ever nullify the grace of God which will and has called you beyond your sin and into the promise of new life.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment