Monday, February 13, 2017

Devotion for Monday, February 13


From now on, therefore, we regard no one from a human point of view ... 
if anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation (2 Corinthians 5)

This week, we will be exploring 2 Corinthians 5: 16-20.

We often view others through the prism of their less than best selves.  When someone makes a mistake, or acts judgmentally, or treats us in a fashion that is hurtful or dismissive, we tend to see them as that and that alone.

I am challenged by the first part of these words.  They remind me of when Jesus told Peter to "get behind me Satan, for you have set your mind, not on divine things, but on human things."  I can be eager to set my mind on human things, i.e. seeing others flaws, imperfections, and failures as most defining of their person.  Yet, I lament and argue when others do the same to me.

Consider today, how might the world change if we could learn to regard others not merely by their human foibles but increasingly through the lens of Jesus' compassion and love? 


No comments:

Post a Comment