Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Devotion for Tuesday, November 22


Be still and know that I am God (Psalm 46:10)

Yesterday, I used this same text and emphasized the "be still" piece.  Today I would like to emphasize the "know that I am God" piece.

So much is made of doubt as a part of faith. Appropriately so I submit.  As Fredrich Buechner says, "Doubt is the 'ants in the pants' of faith." We all have doubts and struggle with faith from time to time. So, dismissing this would be inauthentic to real lives of faith.

Still, I would also say that the "know that I am God" piece of our faith lives should hold as much weight in our lives as our moments of doubt.  Our faith shines forth through community, through emotion, through times of intellectual insight, etc.  These are actually more prevalent than our doubts I would suggest.  Perhaps we dismiss them too quickly when a tinge of doubt arises.

Yes, doubt appears in our lives. Yet, in those still moments when we reflect on the places and spaces that we have felt the presence of God fully then we begin to see the breadth of God's encounter and the myriad ways that God seeks and searches to touch our heart. 

And whatever doubts we have are no match for the undeniable grace and love of God! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment