Thursday, September 29, 2016

Devotion for Thursday, September 29


So if you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above (Colossians 3:1)

I am a preacher's son. I went to church every week and our life revolved around the work of the church. My grandparents were active church goers, with my grandfather being a choir director for many years.

I have been raised with Christ in my life. I am attempting to raise my children with Christ. If I thought I had it hard as a preacher's kid, my children have it doubly hard.  They are up early for worship, and Sunday school, and then remain at Bethel all morning, each Sunday.  At least I was able to go home with mom early and didn't have to stay at church all day.  My kids spent all morning, every Sunday at church.  They are not only raised with Christ they are being raised IN the church.  

And honestly, I am so proud of my children for not being difficult about all of this.  They simply go with it. They realize to some degree I imagine that there is really nothing they can do about it, but I do believe that because of awesome friends and other people who spend time with them each Sunday, they have come to accept and value their time at Bethel each Sunday.

So, while they have a little less freedom than most kids on Sunday, they are receiving something pretty neat too. They are being shaped by loving, caring Jesus followers.  I value this for them. I value that other adults are helping them see that living and loving like Jesus is important.  I am thankful that they are receiving this message from people other than just Heidi and me.

Lord Jesus, thank you for those who shape the faith lives of our children, as they are precious as gold. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment