Thursday, September 22, 2016

Devotion for Thursday, September 22 (A Week with First Peter)


But even if you do suffer for doing what is right, you are blessed (I Peter 3:14)

You will suffer for Christ as you follow Him.  You will struggle because of your faith. You will be ridiculed for the way that you live your life in Christ. You may be persecuted, and you may even die.

Quite a recruiting strategy huh?

Come, join our church, join our movement, and then go through some seriously difficult times and perhaps even lose your life! Awesome!

Well this is what the early Christians went through.  To be sure, our lives are not nearly as fraught with direct danger.  We will not be incarcerated for going to worship.  However, the reality is that living the life of faith will put us at odds with others, lead us to take action that is against our own personal and financial interest, and may even put us in harms way.

When this happens in your life, the comfort offered is that we are blessed amidst our struggles because we are following the work of Jesus.  And this is comfort to us who love Jesus.

If I am following Jesus and it brings me into conflict or struggle or frustrating situations, I know that I can sleep well, and deal with the issues at hand because I am confident in my faith and my work. It may be difficult or maddening or sad.  Still, faithfully following the Jesus Way will bring its own reward, a reward that will trump other struggles.  This I have experienced and this I know to be true.

Lord, grant us the strength to serve you and find our comfort in you. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment