Monday, September 26, 2016

Devotion for Monday, September 26


Success in golf depends less on strength of body 
than upon strength of mind and character (Arnold Palmer)

I met Arnold Palmer once. A colleague invited me to play golf with him in Orlando at Bay Hill, Arnold's course, where my colleague was a member.

As it turned out, Arnold was in line when I teed off the first hole (I hit my best drive of the day fortunately).  As we went around the course I was acutely aware that ARNOLD PALMER was playing the group behind us and that we saw them regularly as we made our way around the course.  Believe me, having a legend and the owner of the golf course playing behind you keeps you from playing slow.

On one hole, I drove right off the tee (shocker) and ended up having to pitch back over a tree onto the green.  As I prepared to hit my shot, a golf cart rode up in my peripheral vision.  Instinctively, I look over and there was Arnie, looking right at me. My heart skipped a beat and as the King watch I hit my only other wonderful shot of the day, right over the tree onto the green.  As far as I know, Arnold Palmer saw me hit two shots -- my excellent drive off the first tee, and my approach shot over a tree onto the green.  As far as I know, Arnie believes I am a tremendous golfer! 

Afterwards, in the locker room, which was also had a bar, we sat and enjoyed the 19th hole, Arnie came in and we approached him as he was sitting at the bar. My friend introduced me and I told Arnold that it was an honor to meet him and shared that my wife had attended Wake Forest, like he did.  He said that obviously she was a smart woman!

Hearing of Arnold's passing I am thankful that his life and values were on display for the world to see.  A man of grace, humility, strength, and courage he gained notoriety not only for being a great golfer, but for being the one who took a country-club sport and brought it to a mass audience purely through his personality and greatness.

It reminds us that our lives can make a difference, especially if we live with character and courage. We will most likely not achieve the fame and influence of someone like Arnold Palmer. But having someone of such statue live so well, it reminds us of our better angels and what is possible.

Today, I lift an Arnold Palmer in honor of Arnold Palmer!

Loving Lord, thank you for the life of Arnold Palmer and bless the Palmer family and all those who mourn today. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment