Friday, September 9, 2016

Devotion for Friday, September 9


Psalm 73: 21-28

When my soul was embittered, when I was pricked in heart,
I was stupid and ignorant; I was like a brute beast toward you.
Nevertheless I am continually with you; you hold my right hand.
You guide me with your counsel, 
and afterward you will receive me with honor.
Whom have I in heaven but you? 
And there is nothing on earth that I desire other than you.
My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength 
of my heart and my portion forever.
Indeed, those who are far from you will perish; 
you put an end to those who are false to you.
But for me it is good to be near God; 
I have made the Lord God my refuge, to tell of all your works.

Psalm 73 is so meaningful to me because of its honesty and its candor. When we are upset and angry with God, God faithfully remains close to us, holds our hand, and continues to guide us amidst our struggles and suffering.. I love this image so much because it is so needed for living hopeful, hope filled faithful lives.

We get frustrated with life, but God remains faithful despite our brokenness, sin, backsliding, and bitterness.  And as God remains faithful, we gain strength and faith.  We find a place to land amidst our uncertainty., as the Psalmist writes "for me it is good to be near God, I have made the Lord God my refuge."  

Indeed it is good for us all !!!!

Faithful Lord, remain near us and help us to find my faith emboldened. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment