Friday, September 2, 2016

Devotion for Friday, September 2 (The Beatitudes)


Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way 
they persecuted the prophets who were before you (Matthew 5:12)  

I have a mentor pastor who tells me that if some people are not upset with me during my ministry, then I am not doing anything of importance for the Kingdom of God.  He may be right about this, but I can assure you I never rejoice when this happens. 

I believe what he means, and this is something that will inform all of us in our lives of faith, is that being about the Way of Jesus will inherently put us at odds with others, sometimes even friends or family. Jesus assures, however, that we will receive heavenly strength in these moments and experiences.  

Following the Way of Jesus will cause disagreements, but the Way of Jesus also teaches that we need not be disagreeable.  St. Paul writes in Roman, "Insofar as it depends on you, live peaceably with each other."  I have tried to follow this teaching, especially when disagreements and struggles with others have occurred.  

In a polarized society like ours, we will find ourselves at odds with others in many different arenas. Yet, through faith, we can live peaceably.  Through faith, we can listen and learn from one another. Through faith, we can find unity in the grace and love of Jesus.

This is always my prayer in times of stress and dissension.  May it be yours.  

Lord Jesus, thank you for your life-giving teaching and assurance of grace! Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment