Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Devotion for Wednesday, August 3 (C.S. Lewis Quotes Week)



Born on November 29, 1898, in Belfast, Ireland, C.S. Lewis went on to teach at Oxford University and became a renowned apologist writer, using logic and philosophy to support the tenets of his Christian faith. He is also known throughout the world as the author of The Chronicles of Narnia fantasy series, which have been adapted into various films for the big and small screens. Find out more here.

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; 
the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."

Our ultimate concern!  That is what the renowned 20th century theologian, Paul Tillich, said about God.  God is our ultimate concern.  And, I would say, mysteriously engaged with us beyond our ability to recognize.

I once read a that we are not "human beings with a spiritual experience" but instead "spiritual beings with a human experience".  I identify with this.  And it seems that this is what Lewis is hinting at in his quote.  

There is something greater beyond our mere human experiences.  We have been created for something greater.  I call that God.

Creator of All, we thank you for life and for spending our life with us. Amen.  


No comments:

Post a Comment